Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Repairing the Windows















I fabricated a piece of new mahogany to replace a rotted section (top right of the picture). Because this will be painted, I can use Fill It to blend the pieces seamlessly. I used a lot of 3M 5200 behind the wood and the exterior fibreglass, which had pulled off the hull. There was quite a bit of water damage so I soaked everything in CPES. I clamped everything together overnight to let it set up.















I put on the respirator and slathered on the Fill It.















With the new window frames in place, this is starting to look like progress.

1 Comments:

At 5:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

James,

What a great (giant!) project. Kudos on undertaking the rebuilding of such a beautiful, and obviously previously mistreated, boat. From what I can gather from your CCAB-list posting and your blog site, you're not an experienced boat restorer...Press On Regardless!! Nothing builds experience and expertise like doing, and obviously the work that you're doing is literally saving one of 85 such boats EVER BUILT from loss forever. Again, great job!

I'm not sure where you're located in the U.S. but my wife and I live in Traverse City, MI (pinkie finger of the Mitten, Lower Peninsula) and also have a 1964 Chris Craft. Ours is a Cavalier (lapstrake hull design) 22ft Dory w/ the 283 V8. I'd love the opportunity to see your boat someday, or even better, do a little cruising together when you're finally getting her wet again. Best of luck and have a good day,

Mike Gaines
smilezealot@sbcglobal.net

 

Post a Comment

<< Home